• A Taste of Ladakh and Its Festivals
• Classic India: Culture, Architecture, and People
• Rajasthan: Decadence, Deserts, and Desserts
• Rivers, Rhinos, and Religion: Assam, Sikkim, Varanasi, and Khajuraho
• Sadhus Galore: The Maha Kumbh Mela
• South India: Legends and Locals
• Spiti, Ladakh, and Kashmir
South India: Legends and Locals
Travels to South India ... marvelous spice, history, and backwaters!
The alien invasions that rocked the Indian sub-continent from 800AD onwards somehow left the South relatively
unaffected. Thus, if you want to understand the original Indian civilization, you have to bypass the better-known
northern areas. The Dravidian civilization of the area around Madras, Mahaballipuram, Madurai, and Cochin is
truly a survivor of ancient India in its purest form - before the Mongols, before the Muslims.
This very special tour begins in the modern city of Hyderabad and then travels to the south and Cochin with its
marvelous spice history and backwaters. From Cochin, you work your way up the coast through spice and toddy
plantations up to Madurai, with its incredible Minakshi Temple. You travel on through he trader town of Chettinad
to sacred Kumbakonam, on to Pondicherry and Mahaballipuram, ending finally in Chennai.
DATES & LAND COST:
Starting from $4,795.00 pp based on 4-6 people
Custom dates and prices available
Saturday, February 23, 2013 - Saturday, March 09, 2013
and Saturday, September 07, 2013 - Saturday, September 21, 2013